The official website of the UK Deed Poll Service - The name you can trust.

Helpline:  Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm (UK time).  Call us on +44 333 444 8484 or +44 870 350 1400.

    Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page


If you are British and live outside the United Kingdom and wish to legally change your name, or your children's names, you can use the Deed Poll process, which has been used by hundreds of thousands of British people for over 150 years.  In fact, during the past ten years, we have changed over 400,000 people's names.

As you would expect, we are the main and most trusted issuer of Deed Poll documentation in the United Kingdom.  Don't just take our word for it.  To read our many testimonials click here and to see articles about us in the national press and television click here.

Click to watch our video guide to changing your name by Deed Poll presented by Michael BuerkUsing our service, you can legally and officially change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, change the spelling of your names or rearrange your existing forenames. You can change your name by Deed Poll as often as you want, at any time and for any reason provided it is not for deceptive or fraudulent purposes.

Changing your name name whilst overseas could not be easier.  Firstly, you need to apply online for a Deed Poll.  We will then prepare and post your Deed Poll documentation to you, in accordance with your chosen overseas delivery service.  When you receive your Deed Poll document, you need to sign and date it in the presence of a local lawyer [1].  You can then use your Deed Poll to apply for a new British passport from your nearest UK Regional Passport Processing Centre.  When you receive your new passport [2] you can use it to get your local documents and records changed to your new name (your new passport will be accepted as evidence of your change of name as recognised by the British government).

Our Deed Poll documents are accepted by all overseas UK Regional Passport Processing Centres and by all United Kingdom government departments and agencies, companies and organisations to enable you to get all your documents and records reissued or changed to your new name including your UK driving licence, bank accounts and credit cards etc.[3]

Please click on this link to start the online application process or click on any of the links in the list of site contents (left) to read more about changing your name by Deed Poll.  If after reading our articles you have any unanswered questions about changing your name by Deed Poll, please e-mail us.


[1]  Before you submit your application, we advise you to visit the website of your local British Embassy or High Commission to ensure there are no special requirements that must be met before they will issue you with a new British passport.  For example, some British Embassies will require you to produce up to three documents in your new name when you apply for your passport in your new name.

[2]  If your current passport contains a visa, your current passport will be returned to you cancelled.  You should contact the visa issuing authority to find out if you need to apply for a new visa for your new passport or if the visa in your cancelled passport is still valid.

[3]  A Deed Poll will not get your birth, marriage or decree absolute certificate changed.  It is also not possible to get permanent records changed such as past examination certificates.  There are some circumstances that enable you to get a birth certificate amended or reissued thereby avoiding the need for a Deed Poll.  Please read
Can a birth certificate be changed? for further information.

How to apply

Articles about Deed Polls

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.