A child’s name change rights upon adoption

A child who has been formally adopted does not need a Deed Poll to change their surname because the adoption certificate issued (which replaces the original birth certificate) provides the necessary documentary evidence that the child’s surname has changed to that of the adopted family’s surname. All government departments, companies and organisations will change their records to show the new family surname upon presentation of the adoption certificate.

Should the adoptive parents wish to change their child’s forenames (or surname), they can do so by Deed Poll, in which case the consent is required of anyone named as a parent on the adoption certificate.

Have a question?

If you have an unanswered question about changing a child’s name following adoption, please click on this link to email us. Alternatively, you can call our Helpline (see top of page for our Helpline’s phone numbers and hours). Mobile phone users can call us by touching this link.